By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
No charges filed in wreck that killed 6-year-old boy, critically injured girls
State patrol cites officer discretion in decision about South Hall crash
Placeholder Image

No charges will be filed against a driver in a Tuesday night wreck that killed a 6-year-old boy and caused six other injuries, some critical, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Angel Herrera was killed in the wreck after 7 p.m. Tuesday on Poplar Springs and Sloan Mill roads.
State Patrol Sgt. Anthony Coleman said Geovanna Juarez, 33, of Gainesville, the driver of the car with Herrera and three girls, ages 5, 8 and 16, failed to yield the right of way.

Coleman said because of “officer discretion” no charges would be filed.

All three girls were transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, and the two younger girls were later transferred to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

Coleman said the girls were in critical condition Tuesday night. As of Wednesday evening, Coleman did not have an update on their conditions.

Juarez was driving eastbound on Sloan Mill Road and approached the Poplar Springs Road intersection. James

Cripps, 41, of Gainesville, was driving southbound on Poplar Springs Road in a Chevrolet van.

“(The Mazda) entered the path of travel of (the Chevrolet van),” Coleman previously told The Times.

“(The Mazda) then started to rotate as it traveled off the east shoulder of Poplar Springs Road in an eastward direction,” Coleman wrote in an email.

The van then crossed the center line into the northbound lane of Poplar Springs Road, where a 2005 Mazda was driven by Ashley Sosebee, 26, of Gainesville.

“(Sosebee) stated she saw the initial collision between (the other vehicles), as (she) was stopping in the roadway in an attempt to avoid the collision,” Coleman wrote.

The Chevrolet van hit Sosebee’s Mazda “once it crossed the centerline in an out of control movement,” Coleman said.

Cripps and Sosebee were also transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, where they were treated and released, according to hospital officials.

Cripps’ mother Brenda Cripps said Wednesday afternoon her son was sore and bruised but was recuperating.

“He was very lucky the truck didn’t tumble,” Brenda Cripps said.

Regional events