The Johnson High School Interact Club won the Rotary International District 6910 Club of the Year award at the spring conference April 18-20 in Athens. Students Dana Sawtell, Perla Ruiz and Toan Hoang also won scholarships at the conference.
The Gainesville High School Student Council and National Honor Society recently raised funds for Relay for Life. Some of the activities included a tailgate at a baseball game, hat day and dress down week for the faculty. Helen Perry is the faculty sponsor for Student Council, and Sonya Barrett is the faculty sponsor for the National Honor Society.
Flowery Branch High School students recently competed at the state DECA conference, and their win qualified them to move on to the International Career Development Conference in Atlanta. The students submitted a paper on a recycling program at Primex Plastics in Oakwood.
The following students also were given awards:
- Colton Smith and Chad Meyers, first place, General Marketing Research Written Event
- Paige Glausier and Rebecca Coghan, fourth place, Community Service Research Project
- Kyle Roberts, fifth place, Accounting Applications
- Richie Maharaj, top 20 Marketing Automotive Services
- Hadden Waddell, top 20 Retail Marketing
- Jessica Lamay, VIP slot for career development seminar
Jimmy Malone of Flowery Branch graduated in December from Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C.
Weston Dale of Gainesville has been accepted into the People to People World Leadership Forum. Dale will travel to Washington, D.C., in October to earn high school credit while studying leadership .
Zack Mellette, son of Kathy and Morgan Mellette of Gainesville, graduated cum laude from Clemson University in Clemson, S.C. Mellette is a 2004 North Hall High School graduate.