The Gen. James Longstreet Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy gave out awards April 27 at its annual Confederate Memorial Day commemoration service at Redwine United Methodist Church on Poplar Springs Road in Gainesville. Awards were given to David Mitchell Pruitt and Benny Russell Leach.
Local Jazzercise instructors Colleen Manji and Tammy Harrison along with their Jazzercise of Gainesville students recently did a three-hour Jazzercise marathon to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Five hundred Jazzercise participants brought in more than $225,000 to benefit the charity. The top fundraiser was Dana Adams, who brought in more than $1,600. Jazzercise incorporates aerobic dance, hip-hop, kickboxing, Pilates, weights and yoga.
The Latin American Missionary Program has been awarded a $7,500 grant by the Jackson EMC Foundation for its Community Youth Outreach program, which provides high-risk teens and preteens with a positive alternative to gangs and delinquent behavior. The grant will be used for ongoing program expenses, such as transportation, activity fees, supply snacks and meals, emergency assistance, school-related needs and program supplies.
Safe Kids Gainesville/Hall County has been awarded a $1,000 grant by the Jackson EMC Foundation to help launch its Helmet Safety Campaign. During the Safe Kids 2008-2009 Helmet Safety Campaign, the agency will use 50 volunteers to educate more than 2,500 second-grade students in 25 schools and will distribute helmets to children whose families cannot afford them.
The Rotary Club of Gainesville has recognized outstanding area fifth-graders, chosen by school faculty and staff for citizenship and their contributions to their school and their fellow classmates. Recent recipients of the Student of the Month are:
- Diana Miguel, a student at Riverbend Elementary School and daughter of Humberto and Dianne Miguel.
- Josie Leigh Coker, a student at Lula Elementary School and daughter of Joey and Becky Coker.
- Shelby Hicks, a student at Friendship Elementary School and daughter of Tim and Kim Hicks.
- Jasmine and Justine Puett, students at Wauka Mountain Elementary School and daughters of Jeff and Carolyn Puett.
- Ivette Rivera, a student at Martin Elementary School and daughter of Escobar and Delores Rivera.