By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Sixth-ranked Lady Wolves rout Chestatee 10-0 in region match
Wolves score three times in first half to secure contest
Chestatee's Stacy Mendoza attempts to keep the ball from Buford's Morgan Smith Tuesday at Buford High School. - photo by Erin O. Smith

BUFORD — Buford High’s sixth-ranked girls soccer team moved its winning streak to 10-straight games Tuesday with a 10-0 victory over region foe Chestatee.

The Lady Wolves (11-2, 7-0 8-AAAA) picked up their fifth shutout victory in the last six matches.

“We were fresh and sharp in front of the goal and the passing was crisp,” Buford coach Drew Eager said. “I was glad to see us play sharp tonight.”

Ambria Shutts put Buford on the board just over five minutes into the contest as she received a long pass over the top of the Chestatee (6-3-1, 3-3) defense. Shutts took two touches and drilled a shot up and over the goalkeeper’s outstretched arms into the top of the net.

The emphatic goal set a tone for what was to come as the Buford offense would finish the first half with seven goals.

Brie Smith scored a 1:30 later on a rebound, then again six minutes later to put the Lady Wolves up 3-0 in the 13th minute.

In the 15th minute, Morgan Smith added to the total as she slipped through two Lady War Eagle defenders and chased down a long pass over the top. Chestatee’s goalkeeper rushed out to try to collect the ball before Smith could get a toe to it, but was too late. Smith chipped the ball over the diving keeper and it one hopped into the net.

Up 4-0, Elexa Bahr joined the party in the 16th minute.

Then, Vanessa Arroyo went back-to-back in the 27th and 30th minutes, the latter an unassisted, deflected ball that found its way past the keeper.

Overall, in the first half, Buford delivered 15 shots, with nine of those on goal.

The Lady Wolves’ defense never gave Chestatee’s sole forward an opportunity.

Buford jumped right back into showcasing its offensive prowess as Bahr, with an assist from Smith, slipped through the back line from the Lady War Eagles and connected for her second goal of the game in the 45th minute.

Then, 52 seconds later, Kylie Buchanan received a miscleared ball just inside the 18-yard box and fired the ball into the left side of the net. The goal marked the ninth for the Lady Wolves.

The final goal of the contest came 11 minutes later as Arroyo locked up a hat trick on an assist from Maria Maggio. Arroyo simply tapped the ball wide of the keeper and into the back corner of the goal.

“I have a lot of players that can play multiple positions,” Eager said. “That’s what we’ve been working on this year. If we can have a lot of different players and attack in a lot of different ways, that’s how we’ll be successful.

“Later on, in the playoffs, good teams will find what you do well and will shut that key component down,” he continued. “If you can’t go somewhere else, then you’ll have some trouble. To have multiple scorers and be able to score in a lot of different ways is going to be a key to success later on.”

BUFORD BOYS 3, CHESTATEE 0: The Wolves (6-3-2, 4-2 8-AAAA) jumped out to a quick start with a shot attempt in the first minute of the contest.

Buford connected on the first goal of the game in the sixth minute as Joe Guiney threw a long ball into the box from the sideline. The ball flew past the Chestatee (6-4, 3-3) keeper, which came out and tried to punch the ball away, and dropped onto the head of a diving Uriel Galarza.

Chestatee had a goal opportunity in the 14th minute as winger Juan Diego Rosillio made a free run down the right side of the field looking to connect with a through ball. A strong first touch pushed the ball hard toward the box.

Buford keeper Will Davis charged the ball and cut off the run with a sliding challenge.

Eight minutes later, the War Eagles had a free kick on the edge of the 18-yard box, but the cross flew over everyone’s heads and out of bounds for a Buford throw, ended the attack.

In the 26th minute, Colin Tarala connected on an unassisted left-footed strike to double the Wolves’ lead.

Buford nearly added its third goal with 1:20 left in the first half as Fredy Benitez hit a blast from about 12 yards out, but the Chestatee keeper, Fernando Ortiz, caught the ball and switched possession.

The Wolves were able to get that third goal before the halftime whistle, though, as Guiney was in the box for a corner and found the ball at his feet off of a deflected shot.

Guiney smashed the ball off the left post and followed his shot to deflect the ball into the back of the net.

Buford will return to the pitch after spring break on April 12 with a trip to Lumpkin County. The Lady Wolves will kick at 5:30 p.m. in Dahlonega.

For Chestatee, the War Eagles will travel to Monroe Area Thursday with a 5:30 p.m. kick.

Friends to Follow social media