By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Scrap metal goes to landfill, not recycling centers
Placeholder Image

If you’ve been wondering about something in your community, Ask The Times is your place to get answers. The following questions were submitted by readers and answered through the efforts of our news staff.

We have a lot of trash metal in our garage, and we can’t take it to the trash compactor site. Where do we take things like that?

Compactor sites are for household garbage and recyclable items only, according to Johnnie Vickers, the solid waster director for Hall County.

“Daily consumables and recyclables are really the only thing that we take at those locations,” he said. “Scrap metal has to be brought to the landfill.”

Recyclables include plastic, glass, newspaper, corrugated cardboard, aluminum, bound books, tin cans, magazines, used motor oil, used cooking grease, office paper and certain rechargeable batteries, though not every compactor site will accept all of these items. There are 12 sites in the county.

The Hall County landfill will take almost any type of trash, with the explicit exception of yard waste such as plant trimmings, grass or tree stumps. There is a charge to dump there and it is based on weight. The minimum fee is $12.50 and covers up to 625 pounds of trash. Anything over 625 pounds costs $40 per ton of trash.

However, there are some items that are priced differently than normal trash. Containers of wet paint are priced higher because it has to be prepared before it can be disposed of. This can be avoided by drying the paint on a surface, then bringing it to the landfill.

Refrigeration units that contain freon and tires also incur an individual fee, depending on size. Prices vary from $7 to $8 for freon containers or from $1.50 to $10 each for tires.

The landfill is located at 1700 Oakbrook Drive in Gainesville and is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.

Scrap metal can also be sold to third party business. The Hall County government maintains a list of these businesses on their website at under “other recycling options.” Other items can be disposed of in this manner as well, including fluorescent light bulbs, auto batteries, packaging, plastic foam, televisions and old vehicles.

Do you have a question you’d like our news team to answer? Contact us at:


Regional events