Gainesville fire officials are investigating two fires that broke out late Friday and early Saturday in a warehouse at 998 Industrial Blvd.
City fire units first responded to the vacant warehouse formerly owned by Hall Tire Co. around 10 p.m. Friday, according to Interim Chief Jon Canada. When firefighters arrived, the building was engulfed in heavy smoke and flames were visible, he said.
Firefighters had to respond again around 2 a.m. Saturday due to a fire in another part of the warehouse, Canada said. He said the second one was a separate fire, leading officials to rule both fires suspicious.
The warehouse sustained heavy damage; Canada said officials would be better able to determine the extent and amount of the damage Monday.
Friday afternoon in a separate fire, three people were left homeless after a mill house converted into a duplex was destroyed by fire.
Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said the fire happened about 2 p.m. at the 2,500-square foot home at 5 Dean St. It was caused by food left cooking in an oven, he said. The fire caused an estimated $75,000 in damage, Cagle said.
The occupants were able to escape the home unharmed.
The American Red Cross was assisting the three people who were displaced, Cagle said.