By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
New Year's Eve road rage incident led to gunfire, authorities say
Alto man charged in alleged shooting on Ga. 365
Victor Lamar Scott, right, stands at the defendant’s table with attorney William Oliver during his committal hearing Friday morning in Hall County Magistrate Court. Scott, 51, is accused of shooting at the 2002 Toyota Tundra operated by Stephen Stanfill on New Year’s Eve.

Being cut off in traffic led to road rage between two men in Hall County and ended with a gunshot, said Hall County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Mike Lusk said Friday at a committal hearing.

Victor Lamar Scott, 51, of Alto, was arrested on New Year’s Eve and charged with aggravated assault. Authorities said Scott allegedly fired his handgun from his car and struck a vehicle driven by Stephen Stanfill, 49, of Lula.

Lusk said the incident began at the intersection of Jesse Jewell Parkway and Ga. 365, when Scott’s Ford Explorer allegedly cut off Stanfill’s Toyota Tundra.

“The victim stated he continued to blow his horn,” Lusk said.

Stanfill stayed behind Scott, the deputy said, as speeds varied between 20 and 85 mph.

It was when the two drivers were near the intersection of Ga. 365 and Cagle Road around 2 p.m. that Scott allegedly fired into Stanfill’s vehicle, Lusk said.

The bullet entered the truck’s left front fender, according to authorities, and pieces of the interior hit Stanfill’s legs. Lusk did not notice any serious injuries to Stanfill.

“He (Stanfill) felt debris hit his legs,” Lusk said.

The victim told authorities the driver of the SUV was a black man dressed well with a tie.

Habersham County Sheriff’s Office Deputies later interviewed Scott, who unloaded his firearm and was “very compliant” with law enforcement, Lusk said. Scott told Habersham County deputies that he fired in the air, Lusk said.

Scott’s attorney William Oliver raised questions to Lusk on whether any weapons were discovered in Stanfill’s vehicle at the time of the report. Lusk said none were found.

The case was moved on to Superior Court by Magistrate Court Judge Margaret Gregory.

Regional events