By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man suffers injury after returning to burning building
Placeholder Image

A man suffered smoke inhalation Wednesday after going back inside a burning shop to help a family member who was on his way out, Hall County firefighters said.

The blaze happened about 4:30 p.m. in the 5000 block of Bennett Road off Hog Mountain Road, according to Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle. When firefighters arrived, the 2,000-square-foot structure was about 60 percent involved.

“It was a personal shop,” Cagle said. “Somebody built a building behind their house. They were working on a car and heard some type of popping behind the vehicle.”

The man was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center for observation. There is no estimate of the dollar loss yet, Cagle said.

“Everything right now is thought to be accidental,” Cagle said, although the investigation is ongoing.

“They had a wood-burning stove and extension cords, so we’ll definitely be looking at that,” he added.

Regional events