Authorities believe that a man found dead on a boat at Holiday Marina today was a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Maj. Jeff Strickland of the Hall County Sheriff’s Office said the body of a 45-year-old McDonough man was discovered at about 1 p.m. on a cabin cruiser near the service dock of Holiday Marina.
Tests showed there were high levels of carbon monoxide inside the boat cabin.
An autopsy will be done to verify the exact cause of death. Strickland said no foul play is suspected.
Investigators said the man had taken his boat to the service dock Tuesday night and spent the night on board with the generator running. Fumes from the generator appear to have filled the cabin and caused the victim’s death, Strickland said.
The man’s name has not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin.