A man who was severely burned while working on an antique car Saturday was in stable condition after being airlifted to an Atlanta hospital, officials said. Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said the man, whose name and age were not immediately available, was working on an engine component of a vintage Volkswagen outside his home in the 56000 block of Oscar Gilstrap Road shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday when magnesium shavings caught fire.
The flames left the man with second- and third-degree burns over more than 25 percent of his body, Cagle said. He did not suffer facial or respiratory burns, Cagle said.
The man was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was in stable condition at the burn ward Saturday, Cagle said.