In light of recent reports of scammers impersonating Georgia Power employees in person and over the phone, the company is reminding customers to be cautious and never provide personal information, such as a credit card or social security number, to an unverified person.
Scam artists have been known to call customers, claim that the customer’s account is past due and that their electricity will be disconnected if they do not provide payment immediately.
When Georgia Power customers are past due on their account, the company will contact them by calling their primary account telephone number with a prerecorded message requesting that they phone Georgia Power to discuss the status of their account.
Georgia Power does not ask for personal information like a credit card or social security number over the phone.
If customers have doubts about the legitimacy of a visitor to their home or place of business that is representing Georgia Power, the company recommends that the customer:
• Call local police or 911 immediately.
• Call Georgia Power at 1-888-660-5890 to verify the employee’s ID.
• Do not let the individual inside your home or business.
• Do not go outside with the individual.
• Do not provide them with your account number or any personal or financial information.