By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fireplace blaze damages Gainesville home
Placeholder Image

A fire at a home in the 700 block of Kenwood Drive in Gainesville damaged a home, but the residents got out without injury, officials said.

The Gainesville Fire Department responded to the residential fire about 6:30 p.m., department spokesman Keith Smith said. Crews found fire showing from the garage area and heavy smoke coming from the residence, he said, and firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.

Fire Marshal Chad Payne says it appears there was a fire in the fireplace that penetrated the prefabricated fireplace wall. The fire spread inside the wall around the fireplace and firefighters contained the fire to this area.

Damage is estimated at around $5,000, Smith said.

All occupants made it out of the residence without injury. The Red Cross was notified for assistance with shelter for the residents.

Regional events