By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire destroys shop in Lula
Placeholder Image

Fire destroyed a shop in the 7500 block of Lula Road on Thursday afternoon, authorities said.

A caller reported the fire, which began about 2 p.m., and firefighters found the 4,500-square-foot shop fully involved.

The value of the structure was $25,000 to $30,000, but a Peterbilt truck and other contents led officials to value the loss at $180,000 to $200,000, Hall County Fire Chief David Kimbrell said.

The shop was heated with a wood stove, and the owner said he had put logs in the stove before leaving and had been gone about an hour, Kimbrell said.

“We still haven’t confirmed the wood stove as the cause of the fire, but that’s what we’re leaning toward,” Kimbrell said.

In addition to the wood stove, there were lots of types of fuel in the shop, Kimbrell said, which made fighting the flames difficult.

No one was in the building at the time of the fire, he said, and there were no injuries.

Regional events