An employee at a business near downtown Gainesville was killed Tuesday following a small explosion due to the malfunction of a piece of equipment used to clean filters.
Gainesville and Hall County firefighters responded to the incident at MyCelx Technologies Corp. on Woods Mill Road.
"It looks like (a chemical) solution created the explosion," Gainesville Deputy Fire Chief Jerome Yarbrough said.
He added that it was similar to what happens when gas builds up in a grill and then flames up when it is lit.
Authorities did not release the victim's name, pending notification of family.
Employees exchanged hugs Tuesday before re-entering the building but none wanted to comment on the situation.
The company produces clean water technology solutions for commercial industrial markets worldwide, according to its website.
In the summer of 2010, the company helped with cleanup efforts during the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Employees demonstrated the company's unique technology to BP executives and government officials before they were approved to help with the efforts in Panama City, Fla., and Orange Beach, Ala.