By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Chimney fire burns house off Athens Highway
Residents had no power, were using propane tank, fireplace for heat
Placeholder Image

A house off Athens Highway where the residents had no power on one of the coldest days of the year burned as the result of a chimney fire Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

Hall County Fire Chief David Kimbrell said heavy fire and smoke was showing from the 1,500-square-foot home in the 3000 block of Baker Road when firefighters arrived shortly before 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

A woman who lived at the house called 911 and escaped the fire.

By about 11 a.m., firefighters had the blaze under control. The house sustained heavy damage to the roof.

The fire is believed to have started in a chimney and spread to the attic, Kimbrell said. The residents, who did not have power, were also using a propane tank in the kitchen for heating, he said.