By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ask The Times: Lake Knickerbocker built after Lake Lanier
Leonard Sadler looks out over Lake Knickerbocker while fishing Friday. - photo by Tom Reed

If you’ve been wondering about something in your community, Ask The Times is your place to get answers. The following questions were submitted by readers and answered through the efforts of our news staff.

I am a recent resident of Gainesville and often see Lake Knickerbocker, but very few people know much about it. What or where is the water source of the lake? How big is it? Does it provide irrigation for the golf course or residents of the area? Was it developed during or after the creation of Lake Lanier? Is the dam an earthen dam? Does the overflow go to Lake Lanier? Does the city or a protective association control the lake?

Lake Knickerbocker was built in the late 1950s, after Lake Lanier, by the damming of Ada Creek, according to Kelly Randall, Gainesville public utilities director.

The 45-acre lake is located on the Chattahoochee Golf Course, near the 14th green, off East Lake Road.

The golf course does have a permit from the Army Corps of Engineers to use the lake for irrigation.

The earthen dam was built by the city of Gainesville, and Randall said the city and the Army Corps of Engineers have gone back and forth on who should maintain it. In the early 2000s, the city agreed to maintain it.

The corps controls the lake, though.

“It’s really just treated the same as Lake Lanier. It’s all on Army property. The Army owns it,” Randall said. “The Army permits any kind of dock structures or irrigation or anything.”

The overflow from the lake does go to Lake Lanier.


There is a large tree located on Park Hill Drive in Gainesville, just past Riverside Drive going toward Cleveland that is leaning out over the road. There was another big tree that fell in this same area just a few years ago. Who would you contact to see if this tree could be removed before it falls and hurts someone?

Residents can call Gainesville’s street division at 770-532-0379 to report trees of concern.

If the tree is on city property, an arborist will evaluate the tree and the city may remove or trim the tree, said David Dockery, the city’s public works director.

It the tree is on Georgia Department of Transportation right-of-way or on private property, the city will get in touch with the responsible party, he added.


Do you have a question you’d like our news team to answer? Contact us at:


Regional events