By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Recycling sites open to nonresidents; when to call 911
Placeholder Image

If you’ve been wondering about something in your community, Ask The Times is your place to get answers. The following questions were submitted by readers and answered through the efforts of our news staff.

I live in a county adjacent to Hall County, and our recycling program is more limited. Can I still use the Hall County waste programs?

According to Hall County Solid Waste Director Johnnie Vickers, non-Hall County residents can bring recyclables to the county recycling center located at 1008 Chestnut St. at no cost. However, compactor sites and the county landfill are limited to Hall County residents only.

The recycling center is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. A drop-off area in front of the center is open at all hours. For a list of what items are accepted, visit or call 770-535-8284.

What situations are appropriate to call 911 for? What happens to those who misuse it?

Any kind of emergency is appropriate for 911, whether it be a medical issue, law enforcement issue, vicious dogs, major traffic hazards, a fire or other dangerous situations, Hall County Fire Chief David Kimbrell said.

According to a Hall County 911 brochure, the number should be used for any situation that immediately requires law enforcement, fire department or medical assistance. It should never be used as a joke, for information such as road conditions, when power or cable is out or for directory assistance.

Abusing the 911 emergency system is a misdemeanor offense and, on occasion, people have been arrested for habitual misuse. That said, no one should be afraid to call 911, Kimbrell said.

“These people who were arrested called habitually,” Kimbrell said. “Sometimes, it may be an emergency to you but not to us; we will not arrest you for that.”

If you have an issue that is not an emergency but requires attention, call 770-536-8812. This number will put you through to 911 dispatchers, but at a lower priority than 911 calls, and can be used to contact law enforcement, fire department or medical personnel.

“The difference is that when you call the 8812 number, it may ring slightly longer than 911 would, and the operator may put you on hold if a higher priority call comes in,” Kimbrell said.

Do you have a question you’d like our news team to answer? Contact us at:


Regional events