By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man receives 2nd-degree burns after boat catches on fire
Placeholder Image

A man was burned when a boat caught fire Wednesday evening at Sunrise Cove Marina off Flat Creek Road on Lake Lanier.

A mechanic was working on the carburetor of a 1979 Ericson sailboat when gasoline caught a spark from a sparkplug and ignited, causing second-degree burns to the man’s arms and legs, Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said.

The man was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center by a relative, and was airlifted to the Grady Burn Center in Atlanta.

The 24-foot sailboat was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived shortly after 7 p.m., Cagle said. Firefighters extinguished the fire without suffering any injuries.

The boat was a total loss, Cagle said, but he didn’t have an estimated value.

The fire was ruled accidental, he said.

Regional events