A man and a baby escaped a burning home uninjured Thursday afternoon in unincorporated Buford.
The two occupants of the house on the 1000 block of Shelby Lane were awakened by the loud popping sounds of a fire in the garage, according to Capt. Tommy Rutledge of the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
Firefighters arrived to find the home heavily involved in fire and used a ladder truck to bring the flames under control.
The home is a total loss. The fire also damaged a vehicle in the driveway and the siding of two neighboring houses.
The blaze appears to have started in the garage, according to Rutledge, and cigarette smoking materials could not be ruled out as a cause.
A total of five people were displaced. The Red Cross is assisting the family.