By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Homeowner burned in home gas explosion
Occupant transported to Grady hospital for treatement after heater in garage explodes
Placeholder Image

One man was transported to an Atlanta hospital with injuries after a gas heater exploded Saturday at a North Hall home.

Hall County firefighters responded to the incident in the 6500 block of Old Whelchel Road, Chief David Kimbrell said. Upon arriving, they found light smoke at the approximately 2,000-square-foot structure.

The home's occupant suffered burns to the face, hands and arms after a gas heater exploded.

"The homeowner had just got a propane tank and he was trying to light the heater," Kimbrell said.

The man, identified by Atlanta media reports as Bill Black, 78, was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital burn center for treatment. No one else was injured.

Kimbrell said the home appeared to have been displaced from the foundation.

"There was tremendous damage to the garage. The heater was in the garage," Kimbrell said.

He adds that the insurance company will need to send a structural engineer to ensure the home is still livable, but Kimbrell said he expects it will be.

"We left the power on so when he's released, he can come back," he said.

Elizabeth Burlingame

 

Regional events