By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Electrical short caused minor fire at Fair Street school
Electricity turned off, smoke being cleared from building
Placeholder Image
Firefighters have responded to a small electrical fire at Fair Street Elementary School in Gainesville.

Preliminary reports are that an electrical outlet at the school caught fire.

Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada said the fire started when a wire shorted in an electrical outlet in the school's break room. The fire caused no real damage, he said.

"It was just very minor," Canada said.

City fire fighters responded to the scene shortly after the fire was reported around 6:30 p.m., Canada said. The fire was quickly contained, and never spread further than the outlet.

The electricity has been shut off from the break room and smoke is being cleared from the building, Canada said.

This story will be updated as developments warrant.