Frank Ross Retrospective
When: Through Feb. 19
Where: Bowen Center for the Arts, 334 Ga. 9 N., Dawsonville
More info: 706-216-2787, www.dawsonarts.org
The Dawson County Arts Council announces its fine art exhibition at the Bowen Center for the Arts of works by Frank Ross from the collection of his daughter, Bonnie Petras of Cleveland.
Running through Feb. 19, the exhibit will feature nearly 60 pieces produced from 1935 to 1988, with more than 45 of these for sale.
Frank Ross produced art for more than 60 years. Throughout his career, he was witness to movements from realism to abstract and his unique perspective reflects in this historical body of work. The show features works from Ross’ European and American styles from painterly realism through cubism and abstraction. Ross’ mediums were oils, watercolor, pastels and pencil on both large and small canvas and board.
Frank Ross was born in Frankfurt, West Germany, in 1898. After serving in the army, he returned to Germany, attended acting school and began his career. He settled in Berlin where he met and was influenced by the well-known Munich artist Clemens Fraenkel. It was then he made the decision to devote himself to the visual arts.
In 1935, Ross left Germany and settled for two years in an art colony in Positano, Italy. Through exploration of styles and influences, he developed his expressive realist style in times of great unrest for free thinkers.
In 1937, when Italy was no longer safe, he and his wife immigrated to New York City. He had his first solo show at the Modern Art Studio on Madison Avenue of paintings he produced in Positano. In New York, he shared a studio and ideas with German artist Eugene Spiro. It was there he began his interpretation of objects as abstraction.
Ross made known his dislike for the unscrupulous art industry; most purchased or commissioned works were sold to private collectors.
Ross moved in 1945 from the hectic city to the Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts and created many pastels. The mountainous landscapes fascinated him as shown through later travels to Europe where he gathered alpine visions to add to his complement of work. In 1950, he and his wife returned to Long Island, N.Y.