1. Gainesville (9-1) Power rating 3.84, Average Points 44.20, Average Allowed 11.50: The Red Elephants are storming into the playoffs after finishing the regular season with a 62-7 win over a very talented Stephens County team. This is a team which can, and does, dominate on both sides of the football.
On defense, the Red Elephants allowed 4.5 yards per carry, held the Indians to one completion, and forced two interceptions and a 25 percent completion percentage in eight passing attempts. Gainesville quarterback Deshaun Watson threw for 369 yards, completing 22 of 32 pass attempts, an average of more than 11 yards per attempt. The offense added 172 yards running at an average of 5.7 yards per carry.
The Red Elephants open the playoffs against Dalton a team which is much better than its 4-6 record.
2. Flowery Branch (9-1) Power rating 3.14, Average Points 47.70: Average Allowed 15.20: The Branch lost its first and only regular season game against perennial state power Clark Central last Friday night. Although the Falcons’ defense is statistically the second best in the county, it has been a little below average by the school’s standards. Up until that game, it hasn’t mattered, as the Falcon offense was able to help carry it throughout the season.
The loss cost the Falcons a No. 1 seed in the state playoffs. With a top seed, they would have opened the playoffs against a No. 4 seed. Now, they are a No. 3 seed opening up against No. 2-seed Johns Creek, a team with a 9-1 record and Power Rating of 3.15.
3. North Hall (4-6) Power rating 1.05, Average points 30.10, Average allowed 28.70: The Trojans finished up the regular season losing 28-21 to a good Monroe Area team.
4. East Hall (5-5) Power rating .90, Average points scored 23.20 Average points allowed 25.90: The Vikings finished up the regular season with a 27-7 loss to Elbert County.
5. Chestatee (4-6), Power rating 0.71, Average points 20.90, Average Allowed 29.60: The War Eagles broke back into the win column with a 28-13 Victory over Johnson to close their season.
6. West Hall (2-8) Power rating 0.53 Average Points 17.40, Average Allowed 32.90: West Hall lost to Lumpkin County last Friday night 31-21.
7. Johnson (0-10) Power rating 0.39, Average Points 11.90, Average Allowed 30.50: Last Friday night, the Knights finished up the season with at 28-13 loss to Chestatee.