As we contemplate the destruction of our country, perhaps these few words may ring out to you. This is taken from "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" as written by Edward Gibbon in 1788. It gives five basic reasons why this civilization withered and died. These are:
1. The undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home which is the basis for human society.
2. Higher and higher taxes; the spending of public money for free bread and circuses for the populace.
3. The mad craze for pleasure; sports becoming every year more exciting, more brutal, more immoral.
4. The building of great armaments when the real enemy was within. The decay of individual responsibility.
5. The decay of religion; faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life, losing power to guide people.
Time to think about these things as we go about our lives and see if any of them sound familiar. They sound familiar to me. Way beyond time to wake up.