By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Woman stable after fire; dog in critical condition
0530fire
Gainesville EMT Jonathan Sosebee, left, and Gainesville firefighter Vee Sanchez work to revive a dog that had inhaled smoke during a house fire on Floyd Road. T he dog was transported to a local veterinarian’s office and was said to be in critical condition. - photo by Tom Reed

A Hall County woman who suffered smoke inhalation after her house caught on fire Friday morning was in stable condition at Northeast Georgia Medical Center.

Hall County Fire Services responded to a 911 call at 9:50 a.m. When firefighters arrived at 2410 Floyd Road east of Gainesville, they saw smoke coming from the eaves and windows of the home, Fire Chief David Kimbrell said.

They later found the woman, who was taken by emergency responders to the hospital. Her name was not available.

Firefighters were quickly able to extinguish the fire, which appears to have started from a candle in a bathroom, the chief said. "The investigation reveals that the fire was accidental," he added.

The woman’s dog was taken from the home and given oxygen. Hall County Animal Control and the Gainesville Fire Department also responded to the fire.

The dog was said to be in critical condition at a local veterinarian’s office, Kimbrell said. Officials did not have an update on the animal’s condition as of Friday evening.

Dan Johnson, a neighbor, said he saw smoke coming from the home after stepping onto his porch. He knocked on the woman’s door, but after getting no response, he returned to his house and called 911.

Regional events