By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Students evacuated briefly at Martin school
Placeholder Image

Martin Technology Academy of Math and Science was evacuated for about 10 minutes Tuesday morning after smoke was reported in the first-grade classroom pod area.

Capt. Zachary Brackett, public information officer for Hall County Fire Services, said the incident was reported at 10:10 a.m. at the school located at 4216 Martin Road in South Hall. He said the first arriving station was able to handle the incident and no fire or smoke was found when firefighters arrived.

Hall County Schools spokesman Gordon Higgins said in a statement the smoke was caused by a short in the motor of a rooftop HVAC unit. Maintenance personnel were on site assessing needed repairs, according to Higgins.

Regional events