By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Storm came and went fast, bringing rain and damage
Cars kick up water along Green Street in Gainesville during the morning rainstorm on Tuesday. - photo by Tom Reed

Shortly after the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning Tuesday afternoon for Hall County, the storm was gone.

"It was just a little tiny crunch," said Hall County Emergency Management Director David Kimbrell.

The tiny crunch squeezed out enough rain to give Gainesville 1.14 inches by the end of the day, most of which fell earlier in the day.

Around 3 p.m. Tuesday, the weather service warned of a line of storms that extended from Flowery Branch to 10 miles north of Gainesville. The storm looked threatening, moving northeast at a speed of 40 to 45 miles per hour, said National Weather Service Meteorologist Laura Griffith in Peachtree City.

"These (were) quick-moving storms," Griffith said. "We’ve been seeing some heavy rain associated with these storms ... but it doesn’t last long."

Kimbrell said there were at least three reports of downed trees in the county as a result of Tuesday’s weather. Most problems were in the northeastern area of the county, Kimbrell said.

Hall County was under a tornado watch until 7 p.m. Tuesday, but like other areas that were touched by the storms, nothing developed.

"What we’ve been seeing is that there has not been any additional development behind the line," Griffith said.

By 9 p.m. Tuesday, no tornadoes had been confirmed in the state, although a warning had been issued for parts of Green, Tolliver, Wilkes and Oglethorpe counties.

The weather service received reports of downed trees and power lines, but Griffith said all had fallen due to the high winds and not as a result of a tornado.

The only tornado that Griffith was aware of occurred in Tuscaloosa, Ala., shortly after noon Tuesday. The three-quarter-mile wide tornado touched down just long enough to damage six houses, one of which was heavily damaged, Griffith said.

By late afternoon Tuesday, Gainesville’s skies were clear, and they should stay that way until Thursday evening when more rain is expected to pass through, Griffith said.