By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
SpeeDee fire blamed on restroom fan
Placeholder Image

A fire Friday night at SpeeDee Oil Change and Tune Up has been ruled accidental, Gainesville Fire Department officials said today.

The blaze at the shop at 101 Hillcrest Drive in Gainesville happened about 9 p.m. after a restroom ventilation fan failed and overheated, according to the fire department. The fire originated between the ceiling in the restroom and the floor of the above storage room.

No one was at the business and firefighters extinguished the flames.

Gainesville Fire Chief Jerome Yarbrough said Saturday that approximately 30 percent of the building was damaged, including the roof, office area and restroom. The service bays were not damaged.

Regional events