By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Space heater blamed for mobile home fire
No injuries reported as fire and smoke damages trailer
Placeholder Image

An electric space heater too close to a Christmas tree has left five people without a home.

Hall County firefighters responded around 6 a.m. Monday to a mobile home fire in the 2300 block of Mountain View Road.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke pouring from the single-wide trailer. Firefighters, including responders from the Gainesville Fire Department, were able to quickly put out the fire.

The occupants were able to leave the structure without injury, said Scott Cagle, Hall County Fire Services spokesman.

“Fire damage was kept to the back half of the home, but smoke damage was noticed throughout,” Cagle said.

The blaze appears to be accidental, starting near an electric space heater and miniature Christmas tree on a nightstand.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to help residents with clothing and housing, Cagle said.

The Red Cross aid, Cagle said, usually entails two nights of hotel lodging, clothing and food vouchers.

The estimated damage totaled $10,000.

“It is unlivable, and due to its age, it will not be able to be remodeled. It will have to be replaced,” Cagle said.

Check out more on fire prevention and protection during the winter months

Regional events