By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Seven people displaced from early morning fire
Dryer to blame in blaze that caused $40,000 in damage
Placeholder Image

A dryer fire caused an early Monday blaze that displaced seven people from a Gainesville home.

Fire struck the 1,400-square-foot home in the 700 block of Johnson Street about 2 a.m., said Gainesville Fire Department Deputy Chief Jerome Yarbrough.

No one was injured, but the American Red Cross was called in to provide temporary help, Yarbrough said.

The victims "said they had some family members they would be staying with until they can get everything back in order," he added.

The fire was reported at 1:50 a.m., after a woman had gotten up to use the bathroom and noticed smoke in the house.

She woke up other occupants in the house — one adult and five children — and "got everybody out of there," said Yarbrough, adding that the home didn't have a working smoke detector.

By the time firefighters arrived, flames were burning up the back of the house and "there was heavy smoke."

"The fire inside the dryer had spread up the walls and into the attic," Yarbrough said.

What caused the dryer to catch fire isn't exactly known.

"There are a lot of (causes). Most of the time it's (lack of) maintenance on the lint buildup," said Yarbrough, also the department's fire marshal.

 

Regional events