By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Roughly $10,000 in damage after dryer causes house fire on Ridgewood Avenue
08302018 FIRE1.jpg
Gainesville Fire authorities said they believe the dryer was the source of electrical issues that started a house fire Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018, on Ridgewood Avenue.

Gainesville Fire authorities said they believe the dryer was the source of electrical issues that started a house fire Thursday, Aug. 30, on Ridgewood Avenue.

Firefighters responded around 4:30 p.m. Thursday to the 300 block of Ridgewood Avenue, where crews found light smoke coming off the home.

Everyone inside made it out uninjured.

“Firefighters worked to quickly extinguish the fire and check for extension. Crews did have to remove sheetrock from the interior of the structure and some siding from the exterior to completely extinguish all smoldering materials,” Gainesville Fire spokesman Keith Smith wrote in an email.

The initial report is an electrical issue starting at the dryer.

After all the fire and smoke was cleared, the residents were able to go back inside with the power restored.

Smith said the damage estimate is between $8,000 and $10,000.

08312018 FIRE2.jpg
Gainesville Fire authorities said they believe the dryer was the source of electrical issues that started a house fire Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018, on Ridgewood Avenue.
Regional events