By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police have not identified victims in Tuesday's fatal wreck
Placeholder Image

A Gainesville police traffic specialist spent most of Wednesday speaking with witnesses about two recent fatal wrecks, but charges still have not been filed in either case.

A wreck about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning killed two people when their car struck a tractor-trailer and both vehicles burst into flames.

Police believe the tractor-trailer, carrying dog food, was turning right into the Purina warehouse when the car, traveling on Purina Drive, slammed into the truck's gas tank area and ended up wedged under it, police spokesman Kevin Holbrook said Tuesday.

Police are still working to determine the identities of the two victims, whose bodies were burned beyond recognition, authorities said. The truck driver, James Allport, 36, of Malinta, Ohio, was able to escape uninjured.

"We've been searching our database as well as working with the medical examiner's office (in DeKalb County)," Holbrook said. "They were set to schedule an autopsy ... so we will have to wait for them to hopefully confirm the identities of those subjects."

Holbrook added the department also is working with other agencies to determine whether there are any relevant missing persons reports.

He also said crews were cleaning up diesel fuel from the wreckage that had entered a nearby creek.

Police are still working to determine charges in a Monday wreck that killed an 8-year-old girl.

Aylin Rodriguez, a second-grader at World Language Academy, was killed in the afternoon wreck at Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Queen City Parkway in Gainesville.

The two-vehicle accident involved a Chevy Astro van carrying Aylin, her brother, 11, mother, 39, and father, 40, and a Nissan Altima with one female passenger.The van was heading east on Martin Luther King and the Altima was heading south on Queen City, Gainesville police spokesman Joe Britte said.

Aylin was thrown from the right rear window of the van, causing a serious head injury. She was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

Her mother and brother, also were taken to the hospital.

The father, 40, who was driving the van, had a scratch on his forehead but refused care.

The woman in the Altima was later taken to the hospital with complaints of a hurt arm. Police do not believe everyone in the van was wearing a seat belt.