By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Officials: Buford home destroyed after man heating oil on stove falls asleep
Gwinnett fire truck.jpg

A Buford homeowner fell asleep Monday, Feb. 25, while heating oil on the kitchen stove, and a neighbor woke them up when they saw flames from the ensuing fire, according to authorities.

Gwinnett County firefighters responded around 7:45 p.m. Monday to Autumn Lake Drive in Buford between North Bogan Road and Thompson Mill Road, where both residents were already outside.

“Per the incident commander, the homeowner was heating oil on the stove in the kitchen and fell asleep.  A neighbor saw flames and awakened the homeowner with knocks on the front door,” assistant public information officer Donald Strother wrote in an email.

Strother said it was unclear if the smoke alarms in the home activated.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the two adult residents, as the house was considered a total loss.

No one was injured.

The fire investigator confirmed that the fire “did originate in the kitchen due to cooking,” Strother said.


Regional events