A family was able to escape an early morning house fire Wednesday in North Hall County.
Hall County fire crews responded to the call in the 3200 block of Chestatee Road and found a 2,000-square-foot home about 75 percent involved with fire, Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said in a news release.
The homeowners said they awoke to the sound of popping. Two adults and two children escaped without injury, but the house was a total loss.
Cagle said the fire appears to have started on the back deck and spread to the attic. Homeowners stated they extinguished a cigarette on the back deck in a container before going to bed.
The fire later led to the roof collapsing. Firefighters fought the blaze from the outside and were forced to shuttle water from a hydrant on Chestatee Road. A tanker truck from Dawson County provided help.