Hall County fire crews battled three separate fires in the county overnight Friday into Saturday morning, fire Chief David Kimbrell reported. No one was injured in any of the fires.
The first was in the 3400 block of Brock Road off Joe Chandler. Crews responding to the call at 10:37 p.m. found flames and smoke showing from the back deck of a 3,500-square-foot home.
Firefighters had some difficulty reaching the home due to a narrow, steep driveway. The house suffered heavy fire and heat damage to the top floor, but crews were able to salvage some items from the lower floors to prevent water damage.
Fire investigator confirmed the fire started from a gas grill left unattended, a grease flare-up igniting the vinyl siding. The preliminary damage estimate was $100,000.
Crews then responded at 11:43 p.m. to a home fire near the intersection of Green road and Waterworks Road in South Hall County, and reported by a passer-by. They found the 2,000-square-foot home almost fully involved in fire.
Gwinnett County ladder units were brought in to assist in battling the blaze. The house was a total loss, with damage estimated at $200,000.
The home’s occupant was first feared to be inside but was later found to be with friends and safe.
The fire investigator believes the fire started in the area of the wood stove.
Saturday morning, crews took on a fire in the 4200 block of Hudson Drive to Peachtree Plantation reported at 7:21 a.m. They found a fire in the oven at the assisted living home, but it was quickly put out.
There was no serious damage and no one was in danger.