By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Monday night fire displaces Gainesville family
Fire is believed to have started in the kitchen
Placeholder Image

Cooking left unattended Monday night ended sparking a fire that left a Gainesville family homeless.

Gainesville firefighters responded shortly after 8:30 p.m. to 1038 Riverside Terrace and found heavy smoke and fire showing from one side of a 1,500-square-foot house.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, but the estimated cost of damage is $30,000.

"The home cannot be occupied by the residents until repairs are made," Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada said.

The two adults and one child who were in the home at the time escaped safely and were not injured.

Investigators determined the fire started in the kitchen, Canada said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the family, he added.