By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Johnson High School's Mike Adcock dies
Assistant principal was injured in 2008 traffic accident
Mike Adcock

Mike Adcock, a beloved school administrator who had sustained life-threatening injuries in a traffic accident last summer, has died.

Adcock, an assistant principal at Johnson High School, had served as a coach and educator in local schools for nearly 30 years. He died at his home.

Hall County schools Superintendent Will Schofield shared the news with school system employees in an e-mail Wednesday.

"I have some tragic news to share with you this afternoon," Schofield wrote. "Many of you were professional and personal associates of Johnson High Assistant Principal Mike Adcock and it saddens me to tell you that Mike died this afternoon at his home. We have no further details at this time."

Adcock is survived by his wife, Linda Adcock, who teaches at Spout Springs Elementary; his son, David Adcock, who just finished his first year as a special education teacher at Johnson High School; and his daughter, Beth Adcock, who was a senior at Piedmont College this spring.

"Please keep his wife Linda and his children Beth and David in your prayers," Schofield wrote.

Visitation will take place on Friday at Memorial Park South in Flowery Branch. Times will be announced. A memorial service will be held Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. at Blackshear Place Baptist Church in Oakwood. More details will be released soon.

Hall County Sheriff’s Col. Jeff Strickland said deputies responded to a call in the 5300 block of Hillshire Court in Flowery Branch at approximately 2 p.m. Wednesday.

"We are conducting a death investigation," he said. "Upon arrival, deputies found the body of a 53-year-old white male in the swimming pool behind the victim’s residence. At this time, no foul play is suspected."

Strickland said a family member called 911 from Adcock’s residence. He said fire, emergency medical services and law enforcement arrived at the scene within minutes of the call.

Adcock was in his second year as an assistant principal at Johnson High School.

On Aug 8, Adcock was on his way to Johnson High School at 6 a.m. on the second day of school, when he lost control of his black Ford Explorer. He traveled 202 feet before the driver’s side of his vehicle struck a tree on Poplar Springs Road one-third of a mile from the school, according to a report from the Georgia State Patrol.

"He left to go home at lunch and later (Johnson Principal) Damon (Gibbs) called the superintendent to tell him," Hall County schools spokesman Gordon Higgins said.

The assistant principal was at Johnson High School on Wednesday morning for the last teacher work day of the school year, Higgins said.

He previously worked at Flowery Branch High School as a boys basketball and graduation coach and at West Hall High School as a basketball coach. He also served at Rabun County High School between his stints at West Hall and Flowery Branch high schools, Higgins said.

"I will always carry the image of Coach Adcock standing during a game, grimacing, gyrating, and laughing as the game unfolded before him on the court," Higgins said. "Behind him would be the team bench always filled with up to 20 players, who seemed to truly cherish being a part of Coach Adcock’s team. He definitely had a knack for inspiring and leading young men. Coaching and working with youth was his true calling."

After the car accident, Adcock endured more than 18 surgeries and 11 weeks in the hospital. To save his left leg, doctors amputated it below the knee this fall. Adcock had been wearing a prosthesis and walking well using a cane.

Since the accident, students, friends and community members had been raising funds to cover health care costs and offering prayers to the Adcock family.

Adcock received a sustained standing ovation when he appeared at Johnson’s graduation Saturday night.