By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Injured school administrator faces more surgery
Fund set up to help Mike Adcock and family
Placeholder Image

A week after an accident that came close to claiming his life, Johnson High School Assistant Principal Mike Adcock remains in critical condition, but officials are hopeful for a good long-term prognosis.

Johnson Principal Damon Gibbs said Adcock, who is in intensive care at Atlanta’s Grady Memorial Hospital, remains in critical condition and on a ventilator to keep fluids from building in his lungs. Adcock still faces multiple surgeries for a broken ankle, leg and pelvis sustained in the Aug. 8 accident on

Poplar Springs Road, two-tenths of a mile from the high school.

Gibbs said Adcock has been unable to speak but can communicate through hand gestures. He did not sustain any brain injuries in the crash, Gibbs said.

"Mike is getting stronger
every day," said Gibbs, who visited Adcock and his family at the hospital on Wednesday. "He’s becoming more alert every day, and things are going in a positive direction."

The outpouring of concern from friends and colleagues has been tremendous, Gibbs said. Adcock is well-known across the state as a basketball coach for the past 25 years and has had visitors come to see him from hundreds of miles away, Gibbs said.

Many asked how they could help Adcock, his wife, Linda, and children Beth and David. In response, a benefit fund was set up through Regions Bank to help defray some of the expenses incurred by the family, which is spending a significant amount of time away from Gainesville looking after Adcock.

Donations to the Mike Adcock Benefit Fund can be made at any Regions branch.

Gibbs said there is no certain timeline for Adcock’s recovery.

"But we’re confident and optimistic" that he will recover, he said.

Gibbs said Adcock does not remember how the 6 a.m., one-car wreck happened. His truck left the road and struck a tree in the front yard of a home. He stayed conscious long enough to give his wife’s phone number to the home-owners. The impact crumpled the driver’s side of the truck, and it took emergency workers more than an hour to free him from the wreckage, Gibbs said.

Gibbs said after seeing the truck, "I’m absolutely amazed" that Adcock survived the crash.

"To see that truck, it’s hard to put into words," he said.

This is Adcock’s second year as an assistant principal at Johnson High School. Adcock also has worked as a basketball and graduation coach at Flowery Branch High School and as a basketball coach at West Hall High School.

Gibbs said people should continue to keep Adcock in their thoughts and prayers during his long road to recovery.

"We’ve got a lot of folks caring about him," Gibbs said.