Instead of inviting hundreds of people to meet local health experts in person, this season’s Healthy Aging Expo, hosted by The Times, is offering the experience online.
At 10 a.m. every Wednesday in September, people will be able to tune in via Zoom from the comfort of their homes and listen to three presenters speak about their line of work.
This September will mark the expo’s fourth year. The Times typically hosts the event twice a year, once in Gainesville and once in South Hall. The event moved to a new format this year amid concern about the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
Sponsored by the Northeast Georgia Health System, viewers will have the option to ask questions at the end of each hour-long session. Megan Lewis, event coordinator at The Times, said she will conduct prize drawings for attendees during the event.
Lewis said people of all ages are welcome to register for the online Healthy Aging Expo. Through attending the event, she said viewers will hear from Northeast Georgia’s health-related businesses, nonprofits and companies about their services.
"This event is geared toward making sure that everyone is still getting the information that they would’ve gotten from the physical event, but in their home,” Lewis said. “This way they’re not having to go out and risk their health.”
Weekly session schedule
10-11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2
- Dr. Nitya Sthalekar, cardiologist with The Heart Center of Northeast Georgia Medical Center
- Robin Templeton, Medicare Man/The Insurance Source, speaking about open enrollment
- Lisbeth Fabiny, Five Seasons Health: How to manage sugar cravings during stressful times
- Dr. Shan Sharif, Northeast Georgia Physicians Group Orthopedics
- Bayli Fields, Kimbrough Law, speaking about estate planning
- Meredith Pippin, Allergy Asthma & Sinus Center
10-11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 16
- Dr. James Kruer Jr., NGMC's director of the internal medicine residency program
- Claire Dittrich, account manager at Caption Call
- Abigail Carr, NGHS Bariatrics
- Dr. Monica Newton, NGPG Family Medicine
- Little & Davenport Funeral Home
- Lauren Ayala, doctor of nursing practice with NGPG Family Medicine
- Dr. Ellen Sanders and Dr. Kelly O'Dell, Longstreet Clinic
Slots are still available for local speakers. To sign up as a presenter, email Lewis at email@example.com or call her direct line, at 770-535-6371.
Healthy Aging Expo
What: Five Zoom sessions to learn about Northeast Georgia’s health options
When: 10 a.m. every Wednesday in September
How much: Free; register online
More info: 770-535-6371 or firstname.lastname@example.org