Hall, Gainesville schools closed Tuesday due to weather
The following are closings and delayed openings due to the winter storm:
Full Story
By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hall fire marshal warns of winter hazards
Placeholder Image

When the mercury drops low in the thermometer, Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle knows there are growing risks for Hall residents trying to stay warm.

“The temperature (Monday night), as a matter of fact, has been the talk around the office the last couple of days,” Cagle said Monday. “It seems like we always get busier, of course, when it gets colder.”

The concern comes from residents seeking alternative heating methods, like space heaters, during the colder months.

“They’ve got to keep combustibles at least 3 feet away from these space heaters. It’s that important,” Cagle said.

The 3-feet rule applies on the ground and in the airspace above the heater, Cagle said. Hall County fire officials also ask residents to never leave space heaters unattended and to avoid overloading one electrical outlet.

With holidays approaching, candles present a risk for people hoping to freshen up their homes, Cagle said.

“We’ve got to be very careful with those candles being away from decorations and also being mindful of children and pets with our candles, because they can get burn injuries or knock them over and start a fire,” he said.

Cagle implores residents to make sure carbon monoxide sensors and smoke alarms are in proper working order, particularly with a noise alert near bedrooms.