A house in the 600 block of Tommy Aaron Drive in Gainesville was heavily damaged by fire about midnight Saturday “and will probably be considered a total loss,” Gainesville Fire Department spokesman Keith Smith said.
When firefighters arrived, they found half of the 3,000-square-foot home ablaze, with fire through the roof, Smith said.
Crews were on the scene for 3½ hours.
One person was inside the house when the fire started. He was awakened by a smoke detector and was able to evacuate the house without injury, Smith said.
Preliminary findings show the fire may have started around the fireplace inside the wall, he said.