By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire damages home on Tulip Drive
Placeholder Image

A fire caused by unattended cooking damaged a home in the 1800 block of Tulip Drive in Gainesville, but the occupants got out without injury, authorities said.

Firefighters arriving to an 8:45 p.m. call found a 1,000-square-foot structure with heavy fire in the kitchen area.

Fire crews were able to keep the fire damage to the kitchen, with smoke damage to the rest of the home, Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said.

An occupant was cooking and left food unattended until it ignited, Cagle said.

The structure and contents were valued at $50,000, and damage was estimated at $30,000, he said.