To vote in the Nov. 4 general election, you must register to vote by today. You must also update your registration if you have moved, again, by today. To be eligible to vote, you must be: a citizen of the United States; a legal resident of Georgia and of the county in which you wish to vote; and at least 18 years old by Election Day. You also cannot be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction nor have been judged mentally incompetent.
There are several ways to register:
- Download and complete a voter registration application from the Georgia Secretary of State's Web site, www.sos.ga.gov. These are forwarded to your local elections office.
- Contact your local county board of registrars' office or election office: Hall County Election Supervisor, 770-531-6945; Banks County Chief Registrar, 706-677-6260; Dawson County Election Supervisor, 706-344-3640; Forsyth County Election Supervisor, 770-781-2118; Habersham County Chief Registrar, 706-754-4068; Jackson County Chief Registrar, 706-367-6377; Lumpkin County Election Supervisor, 706-864-6279; White County Chief Registrar, 706-865-2225.
- Go to your local public library, public assistance office, recruitment office, schools and other government offices for a mail-in registration form, but it has to be postmarked with today's date.
Write to: Office of the Secretary of State, Elections Division, Suite 1104 West Tower, 2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30334-1505. Please include your name and mailing address, but you won't be registered in time to vote on Nov. 4 at this point.
- Registration is offered when you renew or apply for your driver's license at Department of Motor Vehicle Safety drivers license posts.
- College students can obtain Georgia voter registration forms, or the necessary forms to register in any state in the U.S., from their school registrar's office or from the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Again, any forms either must be completed and turned into today or must be postmarked with today's date.
Source: Georgia Secretary of State's office