By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
East Hall boy helps put out fire at neighbor’s home
04022018 FIRE
Logen Carter, pictured with Hall County firefighter Jason Deaton, helped extinguish a fire at a neighbor’s mobile home Saturday, March 31, authorities said. - photo by Hall County Fire Services

An 8-year-old Hall County boy is being hailed a hero after helping extinguish a fire at a neighbor’s mobile home early Saturday afternoon while the occupant was napping.  

Logen Carter, a third-grader at White Sulphur Elementary, “thought maybe they were burning some leaves or something,” Hall County Fire Services Capt. Zachary Brackett told The Times.

But when Carter noticed smoke rising from the walls of the trailer on Broome Road in East Hall, he immediately ran to alert his father.

The two grabbed a water hose and began dousing the fire. Only then did the occupant of the home wake up and escape unharmed.

“They kept it in check,” Brackett said, until firefighters arrived to ensure it had not spread to other areas of the home. “If this would have happened at night, this would have been a totally different ballgame — or if the boy hadn’t of noticed it …”

Brackett said there were no smoke detectors in the trailer.  

The electrical fire originated from an old junction box and spread through the wall, going unnoticed inside.

“Those are even more dangerous … they move around a lot before they show themselves,” Brackett said. “Fire takes the easiest path — no matter what.”

Brackett said firefighters were impressed with Carter’s swift action, which potentially saved his neighbor’s life.

“We’re proud of him,” he added. “Logen did the right thing by going and letting an adult know. That’s one of the messages we give children in schools.”

Regional events