A woman who drowned in a residential swimming pool Wednesday was identified by officials Thursday as Elizabeth Hugo of Dahlonega.
Hall County Deputy Coroner John Abernathy said Hugo, 34, had friends but no relatives in the area and would be buried in her native South Carolina.
Abernathy said the drowning was ruled accidental. Authorities earlier said alcohol may have played a role. Hugo was visiting friends at a Whitmire Road home and had stepped outside to smoke a cigarette at about 1 p.m. Wednesday, a sheriff’s official said.
She was last seen perched on a stepladder on the side of the 4-foot deep, above-ground pool. Hugo was alone for 10 minutes or longer before children who lived at the house found her unresponsive in the pool. A resident of the home performed CPR before paramedics arrived but could not revive the victim, who had no vital signs, authorities said.