By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cleveland man sentenced to time served in heroin case
Tyler Josiah “Big un” Matthews

A Cleveland man was sentenced to time served in a heroin distribution case, in which authorities said they believed the group was responsible for trafficking nearly $100,000 of the drug in and around Habersham County, according to court documents.

Tyler Josiah Matthews, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute heroin and was sentenced Aug. 5 to time served.

Defense attorney Adam Harkness declined to comment on the case’s disposition.

The sheriff’s offices from Habersham and White counties as well as the Appalachian Regional Drug Enforcement Office executed search warrants May 2, 2017 in Demorest and Cleveland.

“The search warrants and subsequent arrests were the result of an 18-month investigation in response to several heroin-related overdose incidents in Habersham, White and Banks counties,” according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Matthews, Michelle Dawn Dorsey, of Demorest, and Nigel Alan Waddell, of Cornelia, were arrested in the investigation.

“The investigation revealed that the group is responsible for trafficking pounds of heroin valued at nearly $100,000 in and around the Habersham County area,” according to the GBI.

The three people plus Darrick Omar Frazier, of Stone Mountain, were indicted July 2017 in federal court.

“Two heroin users allegedly overdosed on heroin they obtained from Dorsey, but they were revived after being administered Naloxone by emergency medical personnel in White County in one instance and Habersham County in the other … Both overdose victims likely would have died, but for the life saving measures taken by medical professionals,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said in 2017 Matthews worked for Dorsey and was responsible for transporting drugs from Stone Mountain to Demorest.

Waddell was sentenced in February 2018 to three years in federal prison. The other two defendants have not fully closed out their cases.

Matthews is also subject to four years of supervised release.