By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Child hospitalized after soup burn
Placeholder Image

A 6-year-old boy was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital Monday after he was badly burned at a Gainesville restaurant, according to the Gainesville Fire Department. The child received second-degree burns on his face, neck and chest when soup was spilled on him at Kiku Japanese Steak and Sushi on Dawsonville Highway.

At about 5 p.m., witnesses say the child stepped in front of a waitress who was carrying a tray with soup on it. The waitress did not see the child, and the soup spilled on his face when the two collided, said Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada.

Because the child received burns on 20 percent of his body, emergency responders decided to fly him to a burn center, Canada said. A helicopter landed in the parking lot of Hollywood Cinemas and took the child to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

Regional events