By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire that killed thousands of chickens determined to be electrical, accident
11142018 CHICKEN FIRE.jpg
Firefighters work at the scene of a chicken house fire in northeastern Hall County on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018.

The cause of a fire at a chicken house earlier this week has been determined to be "electrical in nature," and an accident, according to fire department spokesman Capt. Zachary Brackett.

A chicken house holding roughly 9,000 egg-laying hens caught fire Tuesday, Nov. 13, in northeastern Hall County.

Hall County firefighters were still extinguishing hot spots around 9 p.m. that night at the 500-foot-long chicken house in the 4000 block of Cedar Creek Road.

“These guys did a lot of work in a short period of time and were able to get it stopped,” Capt. Zachary Brackett said.

The defensive attack kept the spread to roughly one half of the chicken house. 

Brackett said the chicken house belonged to a private grower associated with CWT Farms.

“All of the chickens were exposed to what we would call products of combustion, what you would call smoke. They were all affected in some way,” Brackett said.

Brackett said Thursday it was estimated that half of the chickens died.

No other injuries were reported.

Regional events