By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Case moves forward for man accused of shooting at police
Oakwood standoff case from Feb. 2 moves to Superior Court
0221delafuente1
Ricardo Delafuente enters Hall County Magistrate Court Friday morning for a probable cause hearing. Oakwood police say Delafuente fired a sawed-off shotgun through the door at them on Feb. 2. No residents or officers were hurt.

The case against an Oakwood man accused of firing a sawed-off shotgun in the direction of Oakwood Police moved on to Superior Court on Friday morning.

Ricardo Flavio Delafuente, 23, was arrested Feb. 2 after a standoff with local police. He faces charges of aggravated assault, reckless conduct, possession of a sawed-off shotgun and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Oakwood Police Cpl. Tal Parden responded to Oakwood Hills Drive on the report of a man who was off of his medications and armed. Parden testified Friday at a committal hearing that he parked away from the incident call for his own safety, and grabbed his AR-15 tactical weapon out of his patrol car.

Parden, Oakwood Police Chief Randall Moon and other officers approached the house. Delafuente allegedly stepped out the front door and quickly went back inside.

“After he goes inside, we hear a gunshot,” Parden said.

The single shotgun blast went through the front door and hit the apartments across the street. Parden said he had taken cover behind a large SUV in that parking lot between 20 and 25 feet diagonally from the front door.

No one was injured from the gunshot.

Within three to five minutes, dispatchers from 911 made contact with Delafuente and were able to defuse the situation.

“They advised him to throw the shotgun out,” Parden said.

The barrel of the 12-gauge shotgun had been cut to around 13 inches, Parden said.

Delafuente’s attorney Arturo Corso raised questions during cross examination on whether his client had knowledge of the police’s presence.

“Without any lights or sirens ... there’s no evidence that Ricardo had criminal intent to commit aggravated assault against an officer,” Corso said.

Corso raised concerns about Parden’s stance while holding the AR-15 behind the large SUV in the apartment parking lot.

“The left-badged chest is not visible,” Corso said.

Magistrate Court Judge Elizabeth Reisman moved the case on as charged to Superior Court.

Regional events