By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Apartment fire displaces Gainesville family
No injuries in fire, which caused $10,000 in damage
Placeholder Image

A family of three is unharmed but homeless after a fire this morning in their Ridgewood Avenue apartment.

An electrical shortage in the heating and air-conditioning unit appears to have caused the fire, which was reported to the Gainesville Fire Department about 10:45 a.m., Fire Chief Jon Canada said.

Upon arrival, crews saw light smoke from the eves and attic area. Upon entering the triplex apartment building on the 300 block of Ridgewood, firefighters found smoke in one apartment and smoke and a small amount of fire in the attic, the chief said.

"Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and remove the smoke from the structure, resulting in minimal damage," Canada said.

No one was injured and all occupants were out of the structure upon firefighters’ arrival.

The family was "displaced until damages are repaired," the chief said, adding that the family is staying with relatives.

The estimated damage is $10,000.

Regional events